Essay 1
Prompt 1:
There is a very clear distinction between a hi-fi soundscape, and a lo-fi soundscape. The distinction is that in a hi-fi soundscape, individual sounds can be picked up very easily due to airspace that isn't taken up by much sound compared to a lo-fi soundscape where such sounds are lost in the overlapping population of other sounds. An example of a hi-fi sound provided by Schafer includes, "The sound of a pail, on the lip of a well"(Schafer, 43). "...an animal scurrying in the brush"(Schafer, 43), is an example of lo-fi sound as the scurrying is masked by other occurring sounds. Some hi-fi sounds I that I recognize from my farm back home include the circular feed trough for my pigs spinning when they push it or the branches brushing past the side of my house. Some sounds I identify with lo-fi soundscapes could be someones phone ringing during a basketball game.
Prompt 2:
In The Rural Landscape, Schafer talks about the hand operated pump of the butter churn as a significant soundmark on his childhood. He's intrigued by how he remembers such an imperceptible sound that happened nearly everyday but still did not pay heed to it. It did however, leave a mark in his memory that whenever he hears that sound or a sound similar to it, he remembers it as "an almost imperceptible change in tone and texture occurring as the slopping cream gradually turned to butter"(Schafer, 48). I also have a signature memory of a soundmark from my youth on my own farm. I can recall the sound of my father's old Chevy S10 coming in the driveway. While it's not as imperceptible as the churning of butter, it was a sound that I listened to carelessly because of how often I heard it. But it had a unique muffled, guttural sound to it that made it stand out to other trucks. Whenever I hear a sound similar to it, which is very unlikely in the area I live in now, I can remember that sound of my dad's S10 that I got so used to tuning out.
There is a very clear distinction between a hi-fi soundscape, and a lo-fi soundscape. The distinction is that in a hi-fi soundscape, individual sounds can be picked up very easily due to airspace that isn't taken up by much sound compared to a lo-fi soundscape where such sounds are lost in the overlapping population of other sounds. An example of a hi-fi sound provided by Schafer includes, "The sound of a pail, on the lip of a well"(Schafer, 43). "...an animal scurrying in the brush"(Schafer, 43), is an example of lo-fi sound as the scurrying is masked by other occurring sounds. Some hi-fi sounds I that I recognize from my farm back home include the circular feed trough for my pigs spinning when they push it or the branches brushing past the side of my house. Some sounds I identify with lo-fi soundscapes could be someones phone ringing during a basketball game.
Prompt 2:
In The Rural Landscape, Schafer talks about the hand operated pump of the butter churn as a significant soundmark on his childhood. He's intrigued by how he remembers such an imperceptible sound that happened nearly everyday but still did not pay heed to it. It did however, leave a mark in his memory that whenever he hears that sound or a sound similar to it, he remembers it as "an almost imperceptible change in tone and texture occurring as the slopping cream gradually turned to butter"(Schafer, 48). I also have a signature memory of a soundmark from my youth on my own farm. I can recall the sound of my father's old Chevy S10 coming in the driveway. While it's not as imperceptible as the churning of butter, it was a sound that I listened to carelessly because of how often I heard it. But it had a unique muffled, guttural sound to it that made it stand out to other trucks. Whenever I hear a sound similar to it, which is very unlikely in the area I live in now, I can remember that sound of my dad's S10 that I got so used to tuning out.
Comments
Post a Comment